Being a solo librarian in a “one-person library”, this webinar noted on today on the NEFLIN blog [http://neflin.blogspot.com/2008/11/twelve-tips-for-one-person-library.html] is worth reviewing:
“This SLA Webinar Replay is available to view anytime through December 2. Register today to receive access information.
In a one-person library or information service organization, there never seems to be enough time to do the administrative – never mind the professional – work. In this webinar replay, you will find ways to manage your information service, your time, your customers, and your boss, using a few business management and marketing principles. We will introduce practical tips that form a framework for decision making to help you:
- Manage your portfolio of services, knowing which ones to advance, which to phase out, and which to introduce for long-term growth
- Spend more time on the critical projects and say ‘no’ to the low-priority demands
- Promote your service to clients and management without great expenditures of time and resources.
- Cultivate relationships with the ‘influencers’ in the organization;
- Talk and think in business terms.
This webinar replay is designed for librarians and information professionals who are working in very small libraries or on their own as independent contractors.
Virtual Trainer: Maggie Weaver, Click U Live Presenter”