The Electronic Resources Team wants to encourage all San José Public Library staff to learn about our databases.
For 13 weeks, we’ll look at 13 databases. Yes, your math is correct! That’s one per week. All staff are invited to participate in this self-paced online learning activity. You’ll become more familiar with what each of our databases contains, how to use it, and how it might help you assist our library customers!..
And it works like this…
The program kicks off on Thursday, April 1st, 2010 and officially wraps up approximately 13 weeks later on Sunday, July 3rd, 2010. Each week that staff complete the program they will be eligible to enter into the raffle for the item of their choice).
So how does it work? Each week, follow these 5 easy steps to participate:
- Go to the main page of the Database Delight blog each Thursday morning to review the post with information about the Database of the Week. You’ll get an alert reminding you of the new database each week if you sign up for email or RSS notifications. You can sign up for alerts in the right sidebar of this page for email by entering your email address into the box, or for RSS by grabbing the RSS feed and entering the URL into your feed reader.
- Read the entry about the Database of the Week and look at the sample questions.
- Then go to the SJPL Articles & Databases page to access the Database of the Week and look for the answers to the sample questions, or if you have your own questions from customers or from yourself, feel free to use those too! Take some time to look around and see what else is there, and get comfortable with the database’s interface, search features, and contents.
- Go back to the Database Delight blog entry for that week and add a comment with your name and unit or branch, as well as any comments, questions, suggestions, or ideas you have about the database. Feel free to let us know what you think about the resource, including if there are questions you think the resource should answer but doesn’t, or features you wish it had, or problems you had navigating around–anything!
- Submit your raffle entry for participating this week by going to the Flickr catalog of incentives and going to the page of the item you want to bid on. Then just submit a comment with your name & the week you completed (e.g. ‘Lex Luthor, Week 2′) in the comments section on that item’s page. If you complete the entire program, you get an extra 5 entries to submit wherever you choose.
- You have from the Thursday the week starts until the following Sunday (10 days) to complete each week’s assignment and bid on the prize. In order to count, bids must be made during the official week you completed the assignment for…”