JOHN R. LANG [Linked-In Profile]
H (817) 490-9654 ~ C (407) 405-0725 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Analytical thinking – People skills – Personal productivity – Social Media skills – Quantitative reasoning skills – Cultural sensitivity - Design thinking - Thinking Outside The Box.
Wayne State University – ALA-accredited Masters Library Science
Midwestern Baptist College – Bachelors Degree – Double Major: Education/Bible
Oakland Community College – Associates Degree – Library Technical
Michigan State University Graduate School of Business Administration and Lifelong Education, Warehouse Management Certificate Program
Christian Bible College (Th.M & D.Min.)
LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE EXPERIENCE
Digital/Electronic Librarian 2010 – present
Subject Specific Web Content Portal Creation – OutdoorHistory.com (projected launch date 2014-2015)
Planning and implementing a long-term, large-scale digitization program to create very large digital, content libraries for non-profit “Outdoor History” – evaluating hardware & software – book scanning processes, OCR, metadata capture, content cataloging/taxonomy, digital library content/asset management, worflow management, UX evaluation, etc., etc.
Digitization program implementation complete and functioning.
Creating searchable digital libraries from the bottom-up. Worked with IT Dept. programmers to create proprietary software for metadata capture (using Dublin Core), image capture/editing, unique book scanning application for BookDrivePro book scanners, unique online book reader, etc. for our particular circumstances
Adobe Photoshop script for multiple image size creation and OmniPagePro 17 OCR for creating individual .txt files to enhance web crawler SEO
Hardware/Software – installation/configuration, training – modified BookDrive Pro book scanning machines & workflow
32,000+ cataloged & digitized items online (12.5+ million page images), continuous processing — 8.5+ TB of data (on track to double 2013-2014)
Staffing/Staff Management – multiple book scanning technicians, web developer/programmer, marketing/public relations manager, acquisitions manager
Collection development in subject specialization
User experience planning, coordination, implementation
Setting up physical library of digitized resources
Liaison with library oversight management and other departments
(More details to follow)
WHCC [Recommendation Letter]
Librarian/Historian 2006-2009 (position eliminated in budget cut)
Performed a variety of assignments involving the study, preservation, interpretation, and presentation of BHM history, historical artifacts, records, and archives. This included providing key assistance to the product development and writing teams by determining the extent and location of teaching materials, supplying information for a database of the same, and archiving transcript messages into retrievable files. Notable accomplishments included:
- Evaluated and inventoried non-cataloged, non-organized collection in the main building and 5 off-site locations in 2 states.
- Located missing collection materials
- Proposed conservation and preservation plan
- Created a disaster preparedness plan
- Investigated, reviewed, and selected integrated library software programs, training and maintenance for purchase
- Worked with vendor and IT Dept. to install and configure Atriuum automated ILS Software with OPAC.
- Began the actual process of descriptive and subject cataloging of the library materials (using Dewey Decimal Classification and Library of Congress subject headings), which began August 28, 2006. By April 2007 cataloging began at 2 of the 4 off-site, long-term storage facilities.
- As of September 3, 2009, library-holding records for 17,146 physical items had been classified, cataloged, and entered into the catalog database.
- Electronic documents, such as MS Word and PDF documents of program, meeting, conference and product transcripts were categorized, labeled, and organized (6,062 files to date) on the department server.
- Reference and research service for Staff Writer, Television Director, Web Marketing Manager, Website Staff Writer, Department Graphic Artists, Marketing Director, and CEO
- Reviewed products and manuscripts from publishers, writers, etc. for management consideration.
- Performed ancillary marketing department duties, including product project management for all new products from product concept to production.
OTHER BUSINESS/NON-PROFIT WORK EXPERIENCE (reverse chronological order)
FAMILY CHRISTIAN STORES, Altamonte Springs, FL
Book Store Manager
As manager of a Family Christian Store, one of over 300 stores nationwide, I was responsible to the District Manager to maintain and increase sales, implement company policies and marketing programs, coordinate inventory procedures, oversee the store’s staffing and all daily operations 7 days a week. The store was consistently in the top quarter of all the stores in the district.
CLOUD TEN PICTURES, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Maker of motion pictures such as “Left Behind”, “Apocalypse”, “Revelation”, and “Tribulation”
Executive Vice President
- Oversaw staff of 29 and feature-length movie production projects.
- Developed new product marketing program for 2 full-length movie releases
- Oversaw North American Hollywood movie rights acquisitions
- Initiated and developed media partnership programs with non-profit organizations
JACK VAN IMPE MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL, Rochester Hills, MI (1979-2001)
Non-Profit Organization – Recognized annually by Board of Directors and Chairman of the Board for exemplary service/performance, excellence, and dedication.
- Oversaw 50-100 personnel and daily operations, that included public meetings, staff training & development, TV, radio, print, internet, video, audio, counseling, foreign, fundraising, and donor development. Reported directly to the Board of Directors and President/Chairman.
- Significantly increased average annual income
- Fulfilled organization mission by increasing weekly number of domestic TV Households viewing program; increasing foreign radio coverage, print/media distribution to include South America, Europe, and Asia; Increasing number of publications and video products and profitability.
- Maintained low organizational overhead expenses (only 12% of gross income used for fundraising and operations, including salaries)
- Created/developed one of the first (1995) and most successful non-profit Internet websites in genre (traffic to website in the top 10 websites in genre from 1996 to 2000, according to Alexa software. Note: online revenues outpaced development and maintenance costs)
- Created large email database and newsletter program
MS Office, MS Outlook, Novell GroupWise, OmniPage17Pro, Internet Research/Marketing, CMS Donor Support Database/Analysis Software, Internet research/marketing, Direct Mail and Direct Response Fundraising, Social Media Applications, Integrated Library Automation Software, Library Classification and Cataloging, Reference Assistance, Digitization hardware [BookDrivePro book scanners]/image capture and editing software/workflow to create digital libraries, Television/Radio production and marketing. Possess excellent oral and written communications.
American Library Association & Special Library Association
Christian Management Association
Christian Booksellers Association
National Religious Broadcasters Association
Cross Timbers Community Church